Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Top 100 Songs of 2011 -- #3: "Someone Like You" -- Adele

As this is a countdown that features a mere song per artist (with a few technical exceptions), it was tough to choose one song from Adele's miraculously great 21 that stood out above the rest.

In fact, when I was creating this list, I decided that no matter which of the two songs I was considering ended up being on the list, the order of the countdown altogether would not change. "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You" are both better than any other song I've mentioned thus far, but I don't find either of them to be of a higher quality than my top two. I hope that puts into words how much I love both of these songs.

In the end, I had to go with "Someone Like You." Weepy? Yes. But my god, can this woman write a breakup song. Well, soooort of a breakup song. I suppose the breakup's already technically happened, but this is the final separation, so to speak.

It's a song many can relate to. Adele's been separated from this lover for quite some time, but still harbors feelings for the object of her affection. But we are led to believe that it's been years since the fling, as said object has settled down, found a girl and is married. While that in particular may not have happened to all of us, I'm sure many can relate to the concept of rediscovering a lover for whom one still has feelings, only to find that they're quite happy without them and have moved on.

That said, unlike "Rolling in the Deep," this is not a song of anger. Adele only wishes "the best" for her former lover, claiming that she'll find someone like him one day. It's a refreshing spin on the subject matter, as many instances find the artist decrying the object of affection and denouncing him/her instead of wishing good tidings for them.



Adele crossed a lot of boundaries in 2011, and this is the song that solidified her as more than a one-hit shocker in America. Her brand of pop inexplicably caught on in America this year (not that I'm complaining!), and with "Someone Like You," she was vaulted to star status with one of the best ballads of the young decade.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive