Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Top 100 Songs of 2011 -- #17: "I Have Never Loved Someone" -- My Brightest Diamond

It's really quite tough to put into words how beautiful "I Have Never Loved Someone," from New York singer-songwriter My Brightest Diamond (aka Shara Worden), is.

Written as a love song to her young son, the song features eccentric instrumentation (always a mainstay in MBD songs, really) over Worden's surreal vocal. There's multiple versions of the song out there, including the instrument-laden record version, plus takes that are guitar-based.

But no matter the arrangement, the adoration in the lyrics is still there. A must-listen for anyone who's ever really been in love.

I would include the album version of the song, as I usually do with these posts, but 1) I couldn't find it on YouTube, and 2) Even if I had found it, this is the superior version. Recorded as part of La Blogotheque's Takeaway Shows, the performance is one of the most poignant performances I've ever seen put on tape.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive