Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ah, 90s nostalgia. Why?

Here's the deal: I love music festival season. It's one of my favorite times of the year. Why? Because there's so much going on. You've got everything from humongous acts on top of the world to tiny buzz bands that only the hipster-ist of hipsters have heard of. You've got the weird dance acts that seemingly make no sense at ANY festival (hello, Coachella!). You've even got the random band-that-broke-up-like-ten-years-ago-but-decided-they-were-broke-and-decided-to-reunite acts. Seriously, it never fails.

Possibly the only thing that I enjoy more than the festival season itself is the ongoing revelations of each festival's lineups. I say this somewhat because I'm fully aware that the chances of me actually going to any of the festivals are almost always zero, so the only excitement I can really get is from watching all of the lineups unfold and seeing who's going where. And then I pretty much complain for lord only knows how long thereafter because I can't go. Once again, it never fails.

So the other day, I'm checking out the lineup of the Reading and Leeds Festivals (I have an unhealthy obsession with England, OKAY?) and one band in particular catches my eye for the absolute wrong reason. It's Limp Bizkit.

Limp Bizkit.

LIMP BIZKIT.

Sure enough, I check Pukkelpop's (I love fitting names) lineup and guess who appears there too? You guessed it! LIMP BIZKIT.

I haven't been this annoyed since Creed reformed. Why is Limp Bizkit back? Were they ever even gone? Who's going to go see them? Who'd want to see them?

Maybe I'm being too harsh.

...on second thought, no. I'm not.

I'm a firm believer that this band is one of the worst bands to ever rear its ugly head. I just never got them. I think I was into them when I was like 10 years old and thought singing "Nookie" at the top of my lungs on the playground would get me friends. (Spoiler alert: that's actually a really, really bad idea.) They redeemed themselves in my eyes once when they did the "Behind Blue Eyes" cover... but only because it didn't sound that much like Limp Bizkit! They instead sounded like your normal, horrible mainstream rock band. And it was a step UP!

The worst part is that apparently they've BEEN back. For like two years. How I missed this is beyond me, because usually I'm really creepy with knowing what bands are up to.

And I guess what it all comes down to is I can't see why someone at either of these festivals would want to see them. They're playing Rock on the Range also, which I can see them getting fans at because... well, it's Rock on the Range, let's think about who plays there. But my god... Limp Bizkit is NOT a festival band.

Right?



P.S.: they're coming out with a new album too. One of the working song titles? "Douchebag." Music gods, help us.

No comments:

Followers