Friday, May 28, 2010

Lee DeWyze wins American Idol, ruins the season for me

Look. I'm serious here.

Here's a confession, firstly: I watch American Idol. I have since season 2, the exception being season 8 due to a bit of a limited access to a TV.

Now, that said, I followed this season of AI closer than most seasons. Why? For the first time in as long as I can remember (if ever), Ohio had a front runner for the title of American Idol: Crystal Bowersox.

Bowersox, from northern Ohio, was a breath of fresh air to the show. With her long, dreadlocked hair and homages to Janis Joplin and the folk-tinged artists of yesteryear, she was certainly someone I could get behind.

Then there was Lee DeWyze, another artist who I supported at the beginning, but a guy who was more or less just a rocker--though his choice of "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel was certainly a plus for me.

With the elimination of Casey James, Bowersox and DeWyze headed into the finals together. Bowersox had outclassed DeWyze (and the rest of the competition) all season, and did so on the night of the finale as well.

Alas.

For the second straight year, the artist possibly most likely to win (and most deserving?) did not win, replaced instead by the underdog. DeWyze was victorious, and I for one was not too excited.

Then again, it makes sense. This was the third straight year that the 20-something male rocker won. While I'm quick to blame the teen girl population with cell phones for this, this might not NECESSARILY be the case. I don't know. All I know is that I wasn't exactly happy about the results.

That said, the true test is still ahead. Both have just signed record deals with 19 Records, and will release at least one album with the company. Both will have the opportunity to get their own works out to the general public.

I guess then, and only then, will be the true indicator of whose presence in the music industry will be longer lasting.

For now, though? I'm still rooting for Bowersox. No doubt about it.

No comments:

Followers